Weather Forecast


Ask the Chief: Update your license within 30 days

Red Wing Police Chief Roger Pohlman

"Ask The Chief" allows readers access to useful information about law enforcement issues in Red Wing. This communication tool has been developed to enhance community policing efforts by providing residents and visitors with the opportunity to ask questions about local laws, programs and the department in general.

Submit your question to

Q: I moved to Red Wing last month from North Carolina when should I apply for Minnesota driver's license?

A: First I would like to welcome you to Red Wing and I hope you love and enjoy this community as much as my family does.

• You have 60 days after becoming a resident in Minnesota to obtain your Minnesota license or permit if you have a valid driver's license or instruction permit from another state.

• You have 30 days to obtain your Minnesota license after moving to Minnesota if you have a valid commercial driver's license from another state.

• If you work for the United States Armed Forces, or you are a family member of someone in the Armed Forces stationed in Minnesota, and hold a valid out-of-state driver's license, you do not need to obtain a Minnesota license.

Resource links:

1. Minnesota Drivers Manual:

2. Minnesota State Statues: