Ask the Chief: Permitted ATVs allowed on city streets


"Ask The Chief" allows readers access to useful information about law enforcement issues in Red Wing. This communication tool has been developed to enhance community policing efforts by providing residents and visitors with the opportunity to ask questions about local laws, programs and the department in general.

Submit your question to

Q: My neighbors drive their ATVs in the neighborhood on city streets, is it legal for them to do so?

A: Yes, if they meet the following requirements.

On Oct. 3, 2016, Red Wing City Council adopted an amended ordinance allowing both Class 1 and Class 2 ATVs/UTVs on city streets if they fit the criteria.

1. The ATV/UTV must be a side-by-side driven with a steering wheel and equipped with operator and passenger seatbelts and a roll-over protective structure.

The ordinance still prohibits the operation of a Class 1 ATV/UTV which has a handlebar and the operator sits on a saddle-type seat with the passenger behind them.

2. Persons interested in operating Class 2 ATVs on city streets are encouraged to read the ordinance (Section 8.08 All-Terrain Vehicle ATV Regulations).

3. Cost of the permit is $30 and the permit is valid for one year and must be renewed annually.

The permit

Restrictions and procedures for obtaining a permit are as follows:

1. Must present proof of registration at the time of application.

2. Must present proof of insurance, there is a form that must be signed by your agent.

3. Operators must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license that would allow driving a motor vehicle in the Minnesota.

4. ATV/UTV must be operated on the extreme right-hand side of the roadway and no faster than 20 mph.

5. ATV/UTV must not be operated in the "downtown district," which is defined as the portion of the city between East Avenue/Broad Street and Plum Street; and between Levee Street and Fourth Street.

6. ATV/UTV must not be operated on trunk highways such as Highway 58 (Bush Street/Plum Street) and Highway 61 (Main Street), as provided in MN Statute Section 84.928, subd. 1(a). ATV/UTV must not be operated on Old West Main Street between Withers Harbor Drive and Highway 61.

7. Required equipment: Rearview mirror or left- and right-side view mirrors; standard mufflers; brakes adequate to control movement; safety or so-called "deadman" throttle; at least two clear headlamps and two red tail lamps that are to be lit at all times; reflective material at least 16 inches square on each side forward of the steering wheel so as to reflect light at a 90 degree angle.

8. No towing of people allowed.

9. May only carry the number of passengers for which the ATV/UTV is designed.

10 Applications for the ATV/UTV Permit, as well as the insurance verification form, are available at the Red Wing Police Department 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Applications should be returned in person to the Red Wing Police Department. Proof of registration must be presented, along with the completed insurance verification form before a permit can be issued.

If you have further questions regarding the ATV/UTV permit contact: Red Wing Police Department at 651-267-2600 during normal business hours.

To report a violation, call Red Wing Police Department's 24-hour non-emergency number at 651-385-3155.

Additional Links:

1. Ordinance:

2. State Statutes: