Alkire: Be part of the solution
Editor's note: This Q&A is part of a series highlighting City Council candidates for Lake City. Read about the other candidates here.
Amy Kohrs Alkire
- Age: 41
- Address: 810 N Oak St, Lake City, MN 55041
- Website: N/A
- Twitter: N/A
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/AmyKohrsAlkire/
- Education: Masters Degree in Education
- Family: husband Kjel and two kids, Ada (11) and Atticus (7) and an English mastiff puppy Maggie
- Occupation: Assistant Vice President for Advancement at Augsburg University
- Civic involvement: Board of Lake City Education Foundation, volunteer Tiny Tigers soccer coach
What differentiates you from the other candidates in this primary election?
My perspective as a working mom with young kids sets me apart from other candidates. I have a deepened appreciation for our beloved small town through my experiences living in other places. My husband and I have returned to my hometown to raise our family.
What do you think is one critical issue facing Lake City now, and how would you propose to solve it?
Lake City is fortunate to have more jobs than we have workers. We are not alone in facing workforce challenges. As a whole, the state of Minnesota is in the same boat. We have a 3.1 percent unemployment rate in our state and the challenges we are facing are complex. Creating and sustaining a strong workforce, including the business and manufacturing sector of our economy, is a high priority for me.
In Lake City, we are fortunate to have a strong school system, an asset that should be preserved and carefully nurtured. As a city, we should take steps to attract and retain a skilled and educated workforce.
We will have to be a participant in solving this challenge and I'm interested in being a part of the solution.