Update: Red Wing man charged with felonies in Wisconsin


A Red Wing man was charged with felony attempted first-degree sexual assault of a child and felony child enticement in Eau Claire, Wis., according to a criminal complaint filed in Eau Claire County Circuit Court Friday.

Spencer R. Kuehl, 54, was arrested Thursday, Jan. 25, after he allegedly responded to a Craigslist ad placed by an Eau Claire police detective.

The ad was titled “Looking for Fun” and indicated the subject’s girlfriend was out of town and her two daughters were “willing to play,” the complaint states.

According to the complaint:

On Jan. 15, the same day the ad was placed, the detective received a reply from a man later identified as Kuehl stating he “would love them young” and asked for more information.

The detective replied the girls were 8 and 11 years old, at which time Kuehl offered $200 to assault them and sent a picture of his face as well as one of him completely nude.

Eau Claire police were able to trace Kuehl to a workplace in Minnesota. The company — Lake City Lumber Company — has a website with employee names and pictures, which the detective used to verify Kuehl as the subject. He is the owner.

Arrangements were made to meet at Hobbs Ice Arena parking lot Thursday, Jan. 25. Kuehl agreed to pay $200 for the assault.

Kuehl indicated he wanted the assault to begin in the car in the parking lot and continue as they drove back to the residence, where the assault was to continue even further.

When Kuehl arrived at the ice rink parking lot, he was taken into custody. An envelope with more than $100 was found in his vehicle.

Kuehl admitted to police he was in Eau Claire to have sex with an 11-year-old girl. He also told police he found the ad, responded himself and knew their age.

Minnesota court documents show Kuehl was convicted in 2012 as part of a prostitution sting in Rochester. At the time, Kuehl stated he was simply looking for conversation.

Kuehl, who was represented by Red Wing attorney Richard Gorman, was released on $1,000 cash bond.

The charges carry a maximum sentence of 55 years in prison and a $100,000 fine. He is scheduled to make his next court appearance March 7.