Weather Forecast


Boys Soccer: Late goal lifts Red Wing over Lake City

Joe Brown/Republican Eagle Red Wing's Ryan Rehder, middle, battles with Lake City's Nick Ziebell, right, for the ball during Saturday's boys soccer match at Red Wing High School. Red Wing's Alex Rezanzoff, left, looks on.

With two minutes left in its game against Lake City on Saturday, it looked as though the Red Wing boys soccer team would stay winless.

Despite constant pressure against the Tigers, the Wingers' efforts came up empty for almost the entire game.

"We'd be able to hold the ball for five or six minutes, they wouldn't be able to touch the ball. That was awesome. That's the way we have been playing," said Red Wing head coach Brian Quigley. "We're just having issues with scoring."

But in the 77th minute, Dylan Goggin broke through for a one-on-one scoring chance after a pass from Alex Rezanzoff broke through the Tigers' defense. Goggin beat Lake City goalkeeper Ben Linder to break the tie and set the Wingers up for their first win of the season.

"When I first saw the ball going through, I just wanted to get a touch and put it on net," Goggin said. "When it went in the net, it was a huge weight just lifted off all our shoulders. It was like, 'We got it. We're ahead now.'"

Dropping to 2-4 on the year, Saturday's loss was the first time the Tigers were shut out this season.

"It was an evenly-matched game and we're happy with the way the boys played," said Lake City head coach Paul Oliver. "They hung with it, but they came up on the short end of the stick."

Within the first 10 minutes of Saturday's game, Red Wing had ample opportunites to get the ball on net with a pair of corner kicks. But offense continued to be a struggle for the Wingers, who have just two goals prior to Saturday's game.

After a scoreless first half, Red Wing kept the pressure on while fighting a stiff wind. But just like the first half, the ball would not find the back of the net.

With the wind to its back in the second half, Lake City finally made a charge at the 68th minute with a pair of corner kicks. The first corner kick set up a quality shot for the Tigers that ricocheted off the right post.

"We wanted to work hard in the first half and take advantage of the wind," Oliver said. "We came out in the second half and had more opportunities."

On the second kick, Wingers goalie Andy Tarr corralled the ball, ending Lake City's threat.

"Andy made a great save and the defense did a great job in keeping the ball out of the net," Goggin said. "After that, we were all like,' OK, settle down.'"

After the Tigers' offensive spurt, the Wingers reaffirmed their dominance on the offensive end. Near the end of the game, their persistence finally paid off as the sophomore Goggin scored the game's lone goal.

"Once we finally got a shot, it was a beautiful shot," Quigley said. "Dylan did a great job of getting that goal in there. We had very good connecting passes by Alex and Angel (Fernandez) as well.

"We didn't play our best game," Quigley added, "but we still did a good job controlling the game, which says quite a bit about the team."