Q: How should people use their turn signals when entering and leaving a roundabout?
A: I love this question as my spouse asked the same question.
Entering a roundabout requires a signal, exiting a roundabout does not require a signal.
In Minnesota, state law says when you wish to change lanes or make a turn, signal with an approved signal device to inform other motorists of your intention. Signals are to be activated at least 100 feet before you make the turn. Continue signaling until you have completed the turn or lane change. A person whose vehicle is exiting a roundabout is exempt from this subdivision.
Roundabouts are designed to increase traffic flow and provide a safer intersection than a normal four-way stop. When approaching a roundabout:
• Slow down as you approach the roundabout.
• For multi-lane roundabouts, as with any intersection, get into the appropriate lane as you approach the roundabout.
• Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists crossing the roadway.
• Watch for signs or pavement markings that require or prohibit certain movements.
• When entering a roundabout, yield to vehicles already in the roundabout. Do not cross into the roundabout until all traffic from the left has cleared.
• After entering the roundabout, drive in a counter-clockwise direction until you reach your exit.
• Do not stop, pass or change lanes within a roundabout. (Roundabouts are designed to keep traffic flowing, if your desired exit is blocked due to pedestrian crossing or other reason, continue around the roundabout and exit once it is clear).
• If an emergency vehicle approaches, exit the roundabout immediately and then pull over.
For additional information:
Minnesota Driver's Manual: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/Minnesota_Dri...
"Ask The Chief" allows readers access to useful information about law enforcement issues in Red Wing. This communication tool has been developed to enhance community policing efforts by providing residents and visitors with the opportunity to ask questions about local laws, programs and the department in general.
Submit your question to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Generally one answer a week is posted RWPD social media sites and printed in the Red Wing Republican Eagle.