Glover earns Special Olympics 2017 Spirit Award
Athletes, coaches, families, sponsors and volunteers of Special Olympics Minnesota gathered to honor the champions of the 2017 Distinguished Service Awards on Sept. 9 at the Pantages Theatre in Minneapolis. The Distinguished Service Awards recognizes people who have demonstrated incredible support, enthusiasm and time commitment to the organization. Among those honored was Dave Glover, receiving the Spirit Award.
Special Olympics Minnesota has been awarding the Spirit Award for 31 years. This award represents the highest level of commitment and achievement made by an individual and Glover is a perfect example of how just one person can have a ripple effect and influence a legacy change for SOMN athletes.
Glover has volunteered with Special Olympics Minnesota for 40 years in a wide variety of ways. Glover's service was truly dedicated to helping SOMN athletes transform their lives. Due to his tireless efforts, athletes across Minnesota are advocating not only for SOMN but just as importantly, for themselves and cultural change. Glover has been a trailblazer for SOMN athletes and its programs by promoting a message of inclusion, belonging, success and self-empowerment.
Over the last four decades Glover's involvement has included:
• Volunteer coach for eight Special Olympics sports
• Head of delegation for the Red Wing Delegation
• Assistant coach at the 1987 Special Olympics International Games at the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind.
• Site manager for men's basketball at the 1991 Special Olympics International Games in Minneapolis
• Head of track and field staging for Special Olympics Minnesota's summer games
• A proud member of the Special Olympics Minnesota Athlete Leadership A-team, who developed and trained hundreds of ALPs athletes
• Global messenger dean at the 2017 ALPs University
• Site manager for Special Olympics Minnesota Area 10 Athletics and Aquatics
• Committee chair for the Special Olympics Minnesota Distinguished Service Awards Selection Committee
• Presenter at the Special Olympics Minnesota Leadership Conference