Weather Forecast


Man accused of fighting officers

A Zumbrota man was charged with four counts of assault and one count of obstructing the legal process, according to a complaint filed Feb. 3 in Goodhue County District Court.

Evan Todd Kienholz, 21, assaulted law enforcement officers, assaulted his father and resisted arrest during an incident Feb. 2, according to the complaint.

Zumbrota police officer Gene Leifeld responded to a report of domestic assault involving Evan Keinholz and his father on the afternoon of Feb. 2. Goodhue County Sheriff’s Office deputies assisted at the scene, the complaint states.

Leifeld reported that upon arrival Evan Kienholz came to the door and yelled at the officers to get off his property and then went downstairs, at which time Andrea Keinholz opened the door for the officers.

The report states that officers went downstairs and gained entrance to Evan Keinholz’s room but he refused to cooperate with officers.

Leifeld reported cuffing Evan Keinholz and, as the officers struggled to gain control, Evan Keinholz spit into a deputy’s mouth. At that time a spit mask was placed over the suspect’s face.

According to the report, David Keinholz told officers “it started just before you arrived. Evan started pushing and shoving me and I had to defend myself. I pushed Evan away and the yelling and screaming started.”

Evan Keinholz continued to struggle, authorities said. As he was being put into a squad car, he head-butted Leifeld in the face. Officers used a Taser twice in an effort to stop Evan Keinholz from fighting but it had little or no effect, the report states.

Evan Keinholz faces charges of fourth-degree assault of a peace officer – demonstrable bodily harm or throws/transfers bodily fluids, with a maximum sentence of three years imprisonment and $6,000 fine; two counts of fourth-degree assault of a peace officer, which both carry a maximum sentence of one year imprisonment and a $3,000 fine; one count of obstruction of the legal process, maximum sentence of one year imprisonment and a $3,000 fine; and one count of fifth-degree assault, with a maximum sentence of 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.

His next court appearance is set for March 21.

John R. Russett

John Russett is a regional reporter for RiverTown Multimedia, covering a variety of issues facing RiverTown communities. Previously, he worked at the Red Wing Republican Eagle, where he reported on education as well as crime and courts. 

You can follow him on Twitter at @JohnRyanRussett


(651) 301-7876