Chimney may be source of house fire
A fire smoldering behind a wall triggered a carbon monoxide alarm Sunday, Dec. 11, at 371 Cannonview Drive.
Emergency dispatch received a call at 1:58 a.m. that a carbon monoxide alarm had sounded.
While Red Wing Fire Department was en route, police reported there was light smoke in the house that the homeowner believed was from the wood-burning fireplace, Fire Chief Shannon Draper and Lt. Trent Wentlandt said.
Upon arrival, firefighter/paramedics began investigating the carbon monoxide source. They also noticed smoke, this time from a second-floor register in the home. Investigating further, they found fire in the walls and ceiling adjacent to the fireplace.
Extensive tearing out of walls and ceilings was required to extinguish the fire and smoldering remains, the department said.
A total of 18 firefighters worked at the scene for about 4 1⁄2 hours. Red Wing Engine 1, Engine 3, Ladder 1, Medic 2 and Medic 4 all responded.
"The response time — from station to scene — was just over 10 minutes and with the new fire station in Burnside response time would be three minutes or less," Draper said, referring to the west station the city plans to build in 2017.
Firefighters braved cold conditions. U.S. Lock & Dam No. 3 reported that the low temperature during the night was 5 degrees. Snow also was falling.
"Yes it was cold, but we did not encounter any out-of-the-ordinary issues because of cold," Draper said.
"At the same time of the fire we also had a smoke investigation at the Law Enforcement Center, so we had crews working both ends of town," Draper said Monday morning. The call at the LEC was a false alarm.
"No injuries to report. Crews did a great job," he added.
The cause of the house fire, which originated in the area surrounding the fireplace, is under investigation.
The Red Wing Fire Department issued a statement reminding citizens to have their fireplaces inspected on a regular basis and have them cleaned at a minimum of once per season.