Chlorine leak causes minor disruption at Prairie Island water treatment facility
Red Wing Fire Department responded at 8:15 a.m. Monday, Sept. 11, to a call from Prairie Island water treatment facility. A large chlorine tank was slowly leaking from a valve inside the building, creating a hazardous environment.
St. Paul Fire Department, the nearest hazmat team, was requested and responded with hazmat units and specialized equipment to help firefighters make entry, stop the leak and ventilate the building. Firefighters were on scene for four hours.
Red Wing Fire Department assisted Prairie Island tribal police on the scene. No injuries were reported, authorities said.