Red Wing declares snow emergency
The city of Red Wing declared its second two-day snow emergency today.
The snow emergency goes into effect at midnight. Streets must remain clear of vehicles in accordance with the city's snow emergency schedule to avoid ticketing and towing.
Streets marked as emergency snow routes must be cleared of vehicles Saturday, Feb. 25, from midnight to noon. Non-snow emergency routes must be clear of parked vehicles from midnight to noon Sunday, Feb. 26.
Even after streets are cleared, parking is not allowed during the time frame, Deputy Director of Public Works Lynn Nardinger said in a news release.
"Vehicles remaining parked on these streets during the declared period will be towed at the vehicle owner's expense," his statement reads.
Once the emergency period ends, standard parking restrictions will apply.
Off-street parking is available at city parking lots at Third and Plum streets, Oak and Williams streets near the Goodhue County History Center, near Bohmbach Drive by the Athletic Field, at the 10th Street pump station, the American Legion lot at West Fourth and Potter streets, and East Fourth and Bluff streets behind Coca-Cola.
The city may declare a snow emergency when more than 6 inches of snow falls. Parts of the city had more than 8 inches when the declaration came Friday morning.
The season's first snow emergency came in mid-December.
Snow emergency rules are as follows:
• Starting at 12:01 a.m., parking on snow emergency routes is prohibited. The routes are typically marked by signs. A list and map are available at www.red-wing.org/snowemergencyroutes.html.
• Even if a designated snow emergency street has been plowed, there's no parking there until noon on the first day. Plows might need to come through more than once to make sure streets are clear.
• On day two, beginning at 12:01 a.m. again, non-snow emergency routes will be plowed, meaning no vehicles can park there until noon.
More information and notifications are available at:
• City of Red Wing Facebook page: www.facebook.com/CityofRedWingMinnesota
• Channel 6
• Republican Eagle print copy, website: www.republican-eagle.com
• KWNG-FM and KCUE-AM
• Public Works: 651-385-3674
• Red Wing police nonemergency line: 651-385-3155