Weather Forecast


House fire displaces Kenyon family

A Kenyon family has been displaced after their home caught on fire Tuesday morning.

A call came in to the Goodhue County Sheriff’s Office at 7:17 a.m. with reports of smoke coming from a house with no visible flames, according to the sheriff’s department.

Joellen Barak, biomedical services coordinator for the American Red Cross serving Winona, Wabasha and Goodhue counties, said at least two on-call volunteers from the Red Cross were at the home to assist the family.

“We’re primarily there for the immediate needs,” Barak said.

Details about the fire were not available; Kenyon Fire Department officials could not be reached.

According to Barak, the family was not home at the time of the fire.

While the Red Cross’ primary function is to help people get over the initial shock of a disaster, staff do work with other agencies to help with long-term needs of those impacted.

In general, she said, the Red Cross is there to provide lodging, food, clothing and emotional support in a situation such as a house fire. The Red Cross does not disclose specific details in regards to individual cases, she said.

The Red Cross usually receives a call in about an hour in situations similar to today’s, Barak said.

This week is Fire Prevention Week in Minnesota, which is the centerpiece of Fire Prevention Month.

John R. Russett

John Russett is a regional reporter for RiverTown Multimedia, covering a variety of issues facing RiverTown communities. Previously, he worked at the Red Wing Republican Eagle, where he reported on education as well as crime and courts. 

You can follow him on Twitter at @JohnRyanRussett


(651) 301-7876