Viewed from the top of Barn Bluff in Red Wing, the majesty of the Mississippi River Valley is on display as a westbound mail and express train arrives on July 9, 1947. The steam locomotive is a streamlined 4-6-4 F7-class Hudson. Designer Otto Kuhler styled the shrouding with orange and gray paint and silver wings. Six Hudsons were built by American Locomotive in 1938 for heavy high-speed passenger service. They once pulled glamour trains such as the Hiawathas, but by 1947 diesels had taken over many runs and the beautiful engines wound up on secondary trains such as this. Photograph by Ronald V. Nixon, Museum of the Rockies PhotoArchive.
Read the article: Book examines Minnesota's rail history through photos