Red Wing School Board briefsFrom the March 18, 2013, meeting.
New elementary teacher, high school counselor OK’d
Red Wing School Board unanimously approved the hiring of an additional elementary school teacher and a third high school counselor. The new elementary teacher will allow class sizes to better hit the district’s target of an average of 22 students for kindergarten and first-grade sections and 23 students for second-grade sections, Supt. Karsten Anderson said in a memo to the board.
There are currently 45 elementary teachers; there will be 46 next school year.
The board also unanimously approved the hiring of a third guidance counselor for the high school. Currently, two counselors serve more than 1,000 students, Principal Beth Borgen said.
During the 2013-14 school year, Borgen said two counselors will focus on things such as mental health, registration and graduation. The third counselor will deal with career planning, college applications and post-secondary coordination.
Employees reach agreements with district
The board unanimously approved new contracts with the Red Wing Principals Association and new terms and conditions of employment for district directors, program supervisors, non-classified personnel and program assistants.
• The Principals’ Association agreement includes: decreases to the district’s contributions toward health insurance, $1,200 contributions to a yearly Health Care Savings Plan and salary increases of 1.5 percent for 2011-12, 1.75 percent for 2012-13 and 2 percent for 2013-14.
• The district directors’ terms and conditions include: decreases to the district’s contributions to health insurance, inclusion of retirement benefits for directors hired on or after July 1, 2001, an option to be reimbursed for up to five days of unused vacation time each year, salary increases of 2 percent for 2011-12, 2.5 percent for 2012-13 and 2.5 percent for 2013-14.
• The program supervisors’ new terms and conditions include: decreases to district contributions to health insurance, conversion of two floating holidays to vacation or personal leave and salary increases of 2 percent for 2011-12, 2.5 percent for 2012-13 and 2.5 percent for 2013-14.
• Terms and conditions for non-classified personnel now include: decreases to district’s contributions toward health insurance, an additional holiday for some employees and conversion of two floating holidays to vacation or personal leave for other employees, salary increases of 1.5-2 percent for 2011-12, 2-2.5 percent for 2012-13 and 2-2.5 percent for 2013-14.
• The program assistants’ terms and conditions include: maximum wage increases of 2 percent for 2011012, 2.5 percent for 2012-13 and 2.5 percent for 2013-14.
In other news …
• The board approved a new facility use fee schedule that includes slight increases to the prices that non-district groups must pay to use Red Wing Public School facilities.
• The board approved three out-of-state trips for district employees to attend continuing education conferences. The six employees are covering their own travel costs, significantly reducing the amount of money the district pays for these trips, Director of Teaching and Learning Joe Jezierski said.
The board approved the following personnel changes:
New hires: Patricia Erickson, cook at TBMS, effective March 18; Brock Ganser, night custodian at TBMS, effective March 11; Mary Cordes, assistant lead Kids Junction at Sunnyside, effective Feb. 26.
Medical leave: Susan Moore, student supervisor at TBMS, effective Feb. 20 through April 5; Vicki McGuire, lead teacher for Kids Junction at Burnside, effective Jan. 31 through TBD.
Extended leave of absence: Merri Claridge, special education paraprofessional at RWHS, effective Feb. 6 through May 26.
Monday’s meeting lasted about two hours before going into closed session to discuss strategies for labor negotiations with the teachers bargaining group for the 2013-15 contract. All board members were present.
— Compiled by Sarah Gorvin, staff writer