Red Wing Area Seniors briefsFrom the March 13, 2013, print edition.
The Red Wing Senior Center is located in the Professional Building and Community Center, 1407 W. Fourth St. All events listed are held at the Senior Center unless otherwise noted. Phone number is 651-267-3599.
Stories recall Korean War
Veteran Jerry Thomforde will speak at 2p.m. Tuesday march 19 about his service during the Korean War.
If you or someone you know has served during the Korean War and would share stories, please contact the Senior Center.
Senior forum set
Learn how to wisely navigate money requests and make good choices at this month’s Senior Forum, 10 a.m. Thursday March 21. The monthly forums present opportunities to discuss, learn and gain insight by licensed psychologist Dr. Bruce McBeath.
Larson explores Alzheimer’s
Join an open discussion of the challenges from Alzheimer’s disease at 1:30 p.m. Thursday March 21. Sara Larson of St. Brigid’s at Hi-Park will give advice on strategies for coping with the changes.
Needed: Your jokes about aging
Red Wing Area Seniors intends to compile a book of your favorite jokes about growing older in “Jest Aging.” There are challenges that come with aging, but seeing the humor is healthy and fun.
Members especially want jokes that show seniors as smart, clever and courageous. Drop off your joke at the center or email it to email@example.com.
Red Wing Train Clu welcomes visitors
Visit the Gandy Dancers any Wednesday from 1 to 4 p.m. You will see two layouts: "O" gauge and "HO" gauge.
Train enthusiasts of every age are invited. The gentlemen are always happy to answer questions about train remodeling.
Try Wii bowling
Available Mondays from 1 to 3 p.m.. Wii sports bowling is fun exercise with the added bonus of laughs and competition. Come get the enjoyment out of real bowling without the use of a heavy bowling ball.
The following games will be played: Euchre – 1 p.m. Monday March 18; Duplicate Bridge – 12:15 p.m. Thursday March 21; 500 – 1 p.m. Monday March 25; Scrabble - 1 p.m. Wednesdays; Fun Bridge – 10 a.m. Wednesdays; Chess – 1 p.m. Thursdays
Support services offered
Several support groups and services are available.
• Eye glass adjustments, sponsored by Pearle Vision, will be offered from 9 to 10 a.m. Tuesday March 19.
• Free blood pressure checks will be given from 9:15 to 10 a.m. The service is sponsored by St. Brigid’s at Hi-Park.
• NAPS: Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors will be available 10 to 10:45 a.m. Tuesday March 19. Women and men 60 years of age or older, who live in Minnesota and meet income guidelines may be eligible to receive a monthly food package. For more information, contact Channel One Food Bank. The toll-free number is 1-877-500-8699 ext. 104.
• Parkinson’s support group will meet at 3 p.m. Thursday March 21.
• Foot care clinic will be available Thursdays from 1 to 3:30 p.m. with a home health nurse. To schedule an appointment, call Fairview Red Wing Homecare and Hospice at 651-385-3410. The cost is $32.
Medical equipment available
Gently used medical equipment is available at the Senior Center to use for up to three months during a period of medical convalescence or short-term disability.
Items include wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, shower chairs, commodes and more. If you need something, visit or call the center. A $20 donation is requested to help with the ongoing program costs.