Committee: Close MNGL for '13The Red Wing City Council golf course committee will recommend Monday night that Mississippi National Golf Links not open this year.
The Red Wing City Council golf course committee will recommend Monday night that Mississippi National Golf Links not open this year.
This is despite a proposal by the citizen group e Red Wing Municipal Golf Corporation to run the course for five years.
“This recommendation is based on the following: the pending litigation, which creates uncertainty regarding whether revenue created at the course could be diverted to the bank; the undercapitalization of the RWMGC proposal; and the high cost of equipping the course,” committee members said in a document going to the council.
The city is in a lawsuit with Wendell Pittenger, who leased and operated the course until he closed it last fall.
The committee’s long-term recommendation, however, is to look at several options:
• entering into a five-year agreement with RWMGC starting immediately;
• selling the course (with restriction on use);
• entering into a management agreement with an outside party;
• leasing the course to an outside party for operation as a golf course;
• creating a sustainable community asset based on a public process to determine the use of the land and the structure of organization to operate.
The council will meet at 7 p.m. Monday in City Hall.
The Red Wing 2020 Executive Committee will hold a community forum about the course at 6 p.m. March 19 in the Sheldon Theatre.