Letter: Excitement builds for Women BuildLast summer the Goodhue County Habitat For Humanity board voted to undertake a Women Build in Red Wing knowing this had been successfully done in towns and cities all across the U.S. and in Minnesota in the past 13 years.
By: Executive Committee of Women Build, The Republican Eagle
To the Editor:
Last summer the Goodhue County Habitat For Humanity board voted to undertake a Women Build in Red Wing knowing this had been successfully done in towns and cities all across the U.S. and in Minnesota in the past 13 years. Since then, the excitement has been building!
Every habitat build needs these five things:
• A lot to build on, which will be we have purchased at 621 Jefferson St.
• A construction manager, who will be hired soon.
• A partner family for whom to build the home: applications are being taken at the GCHFH office.
• Scores of volunteers. A group of women have formed a steering committee to take up the cause and now are recruiting teams and team leaders to help build the house and raise needed funds.
• Financial and in-kind donations. Needed: $100,000-plus for lot and house costs.
We are grateful for all the volunteers and donors that have already joined this effort. We are looking forward to working with even more.
Do you want to help? Form a team or join one today! No experience necessary, training provided. Construction is May to November.
You are invited to these Women Build events:
• Team Leader – 7 p.m. Feb. 5 in the St. James Summit room.
Please come if you are interested in starting a team. RSVP.
• Communitywide kick-off event “Power of the Purse” designed for women and girls from 1 to 4 p.m. March 10 at Minnesota State College-Southeast Technical.
RSVP, donate, or call Brittany Drewiske at 651-388-9360 ext. 31 or
firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
With gratitude to all in this wonderful community,
Executive Committee of Women Build