The Red Wing Senior Center is located in the Professional Building and Community Center, 1407 W. Fourth St. All events listed are held at the Senior Center unless otherwise noted. Call 651-267-3599 for more information.
The following games will be played:
• Scrabble — 1 p.m. Wednesdays
• Chess — 1 p.m. Thursdays
• Wii bowling — 1 to 3 p.m. Mondays
• 500 — 1 p.m. Monday Jan. 14
Book club will meet
The Roundtable Book Club will meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday Jan. 16 to discuss “The Giver” by author Lois Lowry.
Support services offered
Several support groups and services are available.
• Hearing screenings sponsored by Better Hearing Aid Centers will be available from 9 a.m. to noon today.
• A caregivers support group for men will be held at 9 a.m. Thursday Jan. 10.
• A foot care clinic will run from 1 to 3:30 p.m. Thursday Jan. 10. Cost is $32. To make an appointment, call 651-385-3410.
• Eye glasses adjustments sponsored by Pearle Vision will be provided from 9 to 10 a.m. Tuesday Jan. 15.
• Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors will hold a distribution from 10 to 10:45 a.m. Tuesday Jan. 15. Call 1-877-500-8699 to find out if you are eligible for NAPS.
Train club invites visitors to train display
The Gandy Dancers will be in the Senior Center working from 1 to 4 p.m. every Wednesday on their O gauge and HO gauge layouts.
Train enthusiasts of every age are invited to see the display. The gentlemen are always happy to answer questions about their trains.
Medical equipment available
Gently used medical equipment is available at the Senior Center to use for up to three months during a period of medical convalescence or short-term disability.
Items include wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, shower chairs, commodes and more. A $20 donation is requested to help with the ongoing program costs.
The Senior Center is looking for jokes about aging.
Red Wing Area Seniors is compiling a book of your favorite jokes about growing older in “Jest Aging.” Challenges come with age but seeing the humor is healthy and fun. Jokes that show seniors as smart, clever and courageous are especially wanted.
Drop them off at the Senior Center or send in by email to email@example.com.
YMCA holds Active Older Adults class
Get fit and stay healthy by joining in Active Older Adults at 9 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at the YMCA. The class includes low-impact aerobics, strength training and stretching. Cost is $30 for 20 sessions for non-YMCA members.
The Red Wing Senior Center Choir, the Silver Tones, practices at 1 p.m. every Tuesday at First Lutheran Church, 615 West Fifth St., under director Coleen Fowler and accompanist Cheryl Hemphil.