Red Wing Area Seniors briefsRed Wing Area Seniors briefs for Dec. 12, 2012
The Red Wing Senior Center is located in the Professional Building and Community Center, 1407 W. Fourth St. All events listed are held at the Senior Center unless otherwise noted. Call 651-267-3599 for more information.
Holiday train display
The Gandy Dancers have a holiday train display in the Hiawatha Room at the St. James Hotel. It is open from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday Dec. 15.
The following games will be played:
• Scrabble — 1 p.m. Wednesdays
• Euchre — 1 p.m. Monday Dec. 17
• Wii bowling — 1 to 3 p.m. Monday Dec. 17
Support services offered
Several support groups and services are available.
• The Men Only Group, a caregiver support group, will meet at 9 a.m. Thursday Dec. 13.
• A foot care clinic will be held from 1 to 3:30 p.m. Thursday Dec. 13. To schedule an appointment, call Fairview Red Wing Homecare and Hospice at 651-385-3410. The cost is $32.
• Eye glass adjustments sponsored by Pearle Vision are available from 9 to 10 a.m. Tuesday Dec. 18.
• Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors will hold a distribution from 10 to 10:45 a.m. Tuesday Dec. 18. Call 1-877-500-8699 to find out if you are eligible for NAPS.
Medical equipment available
Gently used medical equipment is available at the Senior Center to use for up to three months during a period of medical convalescence or short-term disability.
Items include wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, shower chairs, commodes and more. A $20 donation is requested to help with the ongoing program costs.
YMCA holds Active Older Adults class
Get fit and stay healthy by joining in Active Older Adults at 9 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at the YMCA. The class includes low-impact aerobics, strength training and stretching. Cost is $30 for 20 sessions for non-YMCA members.
Seniors invited to learn gentle yoga
Learn gentle yoga positions with certified yoga instructor Michelle Hoffman from 9:30 to 10:45 a.m. Tuesdays.
Cost for 6 sessions is $45 for individuals or $80 for couples. Yoga can reduce chronic health conditions, improve sleep, increase energy, restore balance, and improve attitude and overall quality of life.