Red Wing Area Seniors briefsRed Wing Area Seniors briefs for Nov. 7, 2012
The Red Wing Senior Center is located in the Professional Building and Community Center, 1407 W. Fourth St. All events listed are held at the Senior Center unless otherwise noted. Phone number is 651-267-3599.
The Red Wing American Legion is holding a Veterans Day salute Saturday Nov. 10 at the clubrooms. A social hour will be held at 5 p.m. with dinner served by Red Wing Boy Scouts at 6 p.m. Tickets are $5 per person and only available at the club.
Dance to the Ray Sands
Come to enjoy the dancing, fun and live music with the Ray Sands from 6 to 9:30 p.m. Sunday Nov. 11 at the Red Wing Elks Club. Everyone is welcome. Cost $7 per person.
Retirement Planning Basics
Tom Wagner, representative for Mutual of Omaha, will talk about basic retirement plans at 10 a.m. Tuesday Nov. 13. Discuss any questions you may have regarding your finances and get pointed in the right direction.
Laurel and Hardy
William Hoyt presents Laurel and Hardy in “A Haunting We Will Go” at 1 p.m. Tuesday Nov. 13.
Learn how to transfer your photos from your digital camera or cellphone to a computer from instructors Tom and Judy Walsh at 1 p.m. Tuesday Nov. 13. Bring your camera, cords for downloading, laptop or iPad to the class. Call the center to register. Cost is $10 members, $12 nonmembers.
Around the World by Train
Charles D. Anderson “Choo Choo Charlie” will share his stories at 1 p.m. Wednesday Nov. 14. He has traveled 917,055 miles by passenger train in 60 countries. Listen to highlights of a trip he and wife Shirley took when they traveled the world by train. Cost: $2 members, $3 nonmembers.
Holiday Boutique and Bake Sale
Enjoy one-stop shopping for your holiday gift giving 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday Nov. 15. Items include baked goods, handmade pieces, fine arts, books, Christmas décor and jewelry. Proceeds from the bake sale help support programs and services offered by Red Wing Area Seniors Inc.
Licensed psychologist Dr. Bruce McBeath talks about “Understanding Sleep” at 10 a.m. Thursday Nov. 15. Explore the changing patterns of rest, restoring energy and health as you age.
Cards and games
The following games will be played: 500 – 1 p.m. Monday Nov. 12; Duplicate Bridge – 12:15 p.m. Thursday Nov. 15 at the Village Cooperative; Scrabble - 1 p.m. Wednesdays; Fun Bridge – 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
Support services offered
Several support groups and services are available.
• Hearing screenings, sponsored by Better Hearing Aid Centers, will be given from 9 a.m. to noon Wednesday Nov. 14.
• Medicare insurance counseling will be offered from 10:50 a.m. to 1:10 p.m. Wednesday Nov. 14. Call the center to make an appointment.
• Free blood pressure checks will be given from 9:15 to 10 a.m. Thursday Nov. 15. The service is sponsored by St. Brigid’s at Hi-Park.
• A discussion about memory loss coping strategies is planned for 1:30 p.m. Thursday Nov. 15.
• Parkinson’s support group will meet at 3 p.m. Thursday Nov. 15. Call Robin at 651-385-3456 for more information.
• Foot care clinic will be available Thursdays from 1 to 3:30 p.m. with a home health nurse. To schedule an appointment, call Fairview Red Wing Homecare and Hospice at 651-385-3410. The cost is $32.
Medical equipment available
Gently used medical equipment is available at the Senior Center to use for up to three months during a period of medical convalescence or short-term disability.
Items include wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, shower chairs, commodes and more. If you need something, visit or call the center. A $20 donation is requested to help with the ongoing program costs.