The Red Wing Senior Center is located in the Professional Building and Community Center, 1407 W. Fourth St. All events listed are held at the Senior Center unless otherwise noted. Phone number is 651-267-3599.
Understand your medical bills
Cathy Gould will assist you in eliminating the work and worry involved in understanding your medical bills. This one-on-one help from 1 to 4 p.m. Monday Sept. 17 will navigate the insurance process for you, freeing you from paperwork, phone calls and all stress related to insurance claims.
Call the center to sign up for an appointment.
History class examines Gettysburg
Learn about the events of the historic three-day Battle of Gettysburg from both the northern and southern point of view at 2 p.m. Tuesday Sept. 18. The “Turning Point in the Civil War: Gettysburg” class will consider events as they unfold each day and explore its overall impact on the Civil War.
Members pay $10 and nonmembers $12.
Flu shots offered
A pharmacist will administer the flu shots from noon to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday Sept. 18. There is no charge if you are on Medicare.
To help make the flu clinic run efficiently, call the center to sign up.
Senior forum meets
Dr. Bruce McBeath will present “We Are What We Do” and “We Are Who We Are,” at 10 a.m. Thursday Sept. 20. After years of working, raising families and more you now have been given the gift of time. You have permission to do anything or nothing at all. Join in the discussion of why seniors feel they have to be busy and going every day.
Memory loss support available
Sara Larson from St. Brigid’s at Hi-Park will present “Understanding How Alzheimer’s Disease Changes People: Coping Strategies,” at 1:30 p.m. Thursday Sept. 20. Dealing with a family member with Alzheimer’s or dementia can feel like you are on an emotional roller coaster.
Join in for the open discussion of the challenges and advice on the strategies for coping with the changes. Following the presentation at 2:30 p.m., Larson will be available to meet one-on-one with individuals who have specific questions about memory loss of a loved one. Call the center to schedule a time.
Play cards and games
The following games will be played: Euchre – 1 p.m. Monday Sept. 17; Duplicate Bridge – 12:15 p.m. Thursday Sept. 20; 500 – 1 p.m. Monday Sept 24; Scrabble - 1 p.m. Wednesdays; Fun Bridge – 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
Support services offered
Several support groups and services are available.
• Eye glass adjustments will be offered from 9 to 10 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 18, sponsored by Pearle Vision.
• Caregiver support group will meet at noon Wednesday, Sept. 19. The meeting will be at the Wistera Twig Tea Room located in the Pottery Building for lunch. If you plan to attend call the center.
• Free blood pressure checks will be given from 9:15 to 10 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 20.
• Parkinson’s support group will meet at 3 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 20.
• Foot care clinic will be available Thursdays from 1 to 3:30 p.m. with a home health nurse. To schedule an appointment, call Fairview Red Wing Homecare and Hospice at 651-385-3410. The cost is $32.