Column: ApplyMN is good news for county residentsGoodhue County residents in need of health care, food support and cash assistance now have a new option for applying for state benefits.
By: Nina Arneson, The Republican Eagle
Goodhue County residents in need of health care, food support and cash assistance now have a new option for applying for state benefits.
ApplyMN is a secure, web-based application that allows people to apply for Minnesota Health Care Programs, cash assistance, Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program — SNAP — formerly food support, Child Care Assistance Program and emergency help. This new online application can be found at www.applymn.dhs.mn.gov.
ApplyMN is a "smart application" that only requires applicants to complete questions based on the program(s) requested, the household composition and an applicant’s responses to previous questions.
Before using ApplyMN for the first time, the applicant must create a secure online user account and then applicants select an application type from the following list:
• Combined Application, which allows applicants to apply for Minnesota Health Care Programs including Medical Assistance, MinnesotaCare and Medical Assistance payment of home and community-based waiver services, cash assistance, SNAP, Child Care Assistance Program, emergency help or any combination of these programs.
• Minnesota Family Planning Program.
• Medical Assistance for breast and cervical cancer.
• Payment of services in a Long-Term care facility.
ApplyMN allows applicants to:
• Submit, save or cancel an application at any time.
• Review and edit answers prior to submittal.
• Electronically sign the application.
• Electronically attach and submit verifications.
ApplyMN displays all disclosure agreements, such as the notice of privacy practices and the rights and responsibilities required for each program requested in the application.
ApplyMN automatically routes applications to the county based on the applicant's county of residence, program(s) requested and tribal affiliation.
Goodhue County Health and Human Services sees this as improving access to many of the public assistance programs by allowing county residents to complete an online application and submit it electronically.
This is a win-win tool for both customers and the H&HS Department. For customers, this will save a trip to the office although a face-to-face interview may be required for some programs. For the H&HS Department, this makes the applications easier to read, which helps with processing time otherwise the eligibility determination process has not changed.
Although this is a small step, it is still a perfect fit for the H&HS Department as it is moving forward with electronic data management systems.
For more information go to www.applymn.dhs.mn.gov. You can also find this website by going to the Goodhue County’s website at www.co.goodhue.mn.us.
Nina Arneson, Director Goodhue County H&HS