Lightning strike starts house fire in rural Cannon FallsLightning struck a metal chimney on a rural Cannon Falls house Wednesday evening, sparking a fire, Goodhue Fire Chief Mike Kehren reported.
By: Sarah Gorvin, The Republican Eagle
Lightning struck a metal chimney on a rural Cannon Falls house Wednesday evening, sparking a fire, Goodhue Fire Chief Mike Kehren reported. The Goodhue Fire Department was dispatched to 32010 White Rock Trail at about 6:30 p.m.
Crews were informed en route that all of the home’s occupants were out of the house. Crews then focused on keeping the fire contained to the roof area, Kehren said.
“If it had been another 15 minutes, the house would have been engulfed,” he said.
Holes were cut in the roof to expose the fire. About 16 firefighters were on scene four about two hours. A water truck was called in from Cannon Falls Fire Department “as a precautionary measure,” Kehren said.
The house, owned by Donald Lindahl, suffered both fire and water damage, Kehren said, though he was unsure of the dollar value.
The Goodhue County Sheriff’s Office assisted at the scene.