The Red Wing Area Senior Center is located in the Fairview Red Wing Professional Building and Community Center. All events listed are held at the Senior Center unless noted. Phone number is 651-267-3599.
Alternative revenue sources to be discussed
Dan Bender from the Red Wing City Council will present ideas of enhancing the city’s revenue by implementation of a local option sales tax at 1:30 p.m. Monday May 14. Possible uses of this tax revenue will be discussed and input will be welcomed.
Learn about photography
Learn the basics of your digital camera from instructors Tom and Judy Walsh at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday May 15. Bring your camera, manual and questions to get started on taking those photos you have always wanted to capture. Sign up by calling the Senior Center. Cost $10 members, $15 non-members.
Senior book club meets
Roundtable Book Club will meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday May 16 and discuss "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet" by Jamie Ford. Make it your goal to read a new book and then join others for some friendly discussion.
Senior forum is May 17
Dr. Bruce McBeath, licensed psychologist, will talk at 10 a.m. Thursday May 17 about “Using our Power to Heal Relationships and Help Others Grow.”
Dance to Ray Sands
All ladies and gentlemen welcome to the Red Wing Elks Club from 6 to 9:30 p.m. Sunday May 20. Cost $7.
Volunteers are needed to help with security for the Field of Honor over Memorial Day weekend. If you can help, contact Robin Wipperling at 651-385-3456.
Come play games
The following games will be played: 500 – 1 p.m. Monday May 14; Duplicate Bridge – 12:15 p.m. Thursday May 17; Scrabble - 1 p.m. Wednesdays; Fun Bridge – 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
Support services offered
Several support groups and services are available.
• NAPS: Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors will be available 11 a.m. noon Monday, May 14. Women and men 60 years of age or older, who live in Minnesota and meet income guidelines may be eligible to receive a monthly food package. For more information, contact Channel One Food Bank at 877-500-8699 ext. 104.
• Eye glass adjustments by Pearle Vision will be given from 9 to 10 a.m. Tuesday May 15.
• Blood pressure checks will be offered by St. Brigid’s Hi-Park volunteers from 9:15-10 a.m. Thursday May 17.
• Parkinson's support group will meet at 3 p.m. Thursday May 17.
• Foot care clinic will be available Thursdays from 1 to 3:30 p.m. with a home health nurse. To schedule an appointment, call Fairview Red Wing Homecare and Hospice at 651-385-3410. The cost is $32.
Medical equipment available
Gently used medical equipment is available at the Senior Center to use for up to three months during a period of medical convalescence or short-term disability.
Items include wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, shower chairs, commodes and more. If you need something, visit or call the center. A $20 donation is requested to help with the ongoing program costs.