Red Wing firefighters extinguish attic fire; families displacedSpace heaters apparently overloaded the electrical system at a triplex and caused a fire this morning, according to Red Wing Fire Department.
Space heaters apparently overloaded the electrical system at a triplex and caused a fire this morning, the Red Wing Fire Department reported.
Firefighters responded at 4:17 a.m. to a report of electricity loss and smoke at 1107 South Park St.
They found indications of an attic fire upon arriving five minutes after the call.
"Firefighters breached the ceiling in the second story of the house and extinguished the fire using water and compressed air foam," Capt. Scott Will said in a statement. They had the fire out in 45 minutes.
Fire and smoke damaged the attic and upstairs of the triplex. There were no injuries, he said.
"The cause of the fire, which originated in the attic, is believed to be the result of overloaded electrical wiring that was used for powering electric space heaters," Will said.
The Red Cross assisted families, who are temporarily displaced. Their names were not available Saturday morning.
Red Wing had 17 firefighters on the scene for four hours.