Concerned about your tax statement?Area residents will have a chance to voice their thoughts on local government budgets and taxes at annual property tax meetings soon.
By: Danielle Killey, The Republican Eagle
Area residents will have a chance to voice their thoughts on local government budgets and taxes at annual property tax meetings soon.
Known as truth-in-taxation meetings, the gatherings offer an opportunity for locals to hear from and address the county, city and school district they live in.
And with a variety of factors influencing taxes, there could be a lot of questions. Property values, the new Market Value Homestead Exclusion and local tax levies are just some of the pieces of the property tax pie.
School referendums passed this year likely won’t be reflected on the statements, and local governments haven’t finalized tax levies yet.
Individual property owners’ bills likely will shift from what is reflected on the notice due to changes in local levies, possible assessments or fees and school district referendums.
Still, the meetings will provide an opportunity to talk about the budgets before many are finalized in December.
Here’s a list of area meetings from the Goodhue County Auditor/Treasurer’s Office. Those jurisdictions with fewer than 500 residents are exempt from the meetings.
• Dec. 1, 6 p.m., Goodhue County Government Center board room
• Red Wing: Dec. 5, 7 p.m., Red Wing City Hall council chambers
• Bellechester: exempt
• Cannon Falls: Dec. 6, 6:30 p.m., Cannon Falls City Hall council chambers
• Dennison: exempt
• Goodhue: Dec. 14, 6:30 p.m., Goodhue City Hall
• Kenyon: Dec. 6, 7:30 p.m., Kenyon City Hall council chambers
• Lake City: Dec. 12, 6:30 p.m., Lake City City Hall council chambers
• Pine Island: Dec. 20, 7 p.m., Pine Island City Hall
• Wanamingo: Dec. 12, 7 p.m., Wanamingo City Hall council chambers
• Zumbrota: Dec. 1, 6 p.m., Zumbrota City Hall
• Red Wing: Dec. 5, 6 p.m., Red Wing High School Little Theater
• Cannon Falls: Dec. 19, 6:30 p.m., Cannon Falls High School (referendum failed)
• Faribault: Dec. 19, 6:30 p.m., Faribault City Hall council chambers
• Goodhue: Dec. 12, 6:45 p.m., Goodhue School Multi-Purpose Room*
• Hastings: Dec. 14, 6:30 p.m., Hastings District Office*
• Kenyon-Wanamingo: Nov. 28, 7 p.m., K-W Elementary School*
• Lake City: Dec. 19, 6 p.m., Lincoln High School Media Center
• Northfield: Dec. 12, 7 p.m., Northfield High School Media Center*
• Pine Island: Dec. 1, 6 p.m., Pine Island School Board Room*
• Randolph: Dec. 19, 7 p.m., Randolph School Media Center
• Triton: Dec. 19, 6:01 p.m., Triton High School Media Center
• Zumbrota-Mazeppa: Dec. 19, 6:30 p.m., high school media center
*School districts that approved referendums