A place of green spaceIn Red Wing, more than 900 acres of land is dedicated to the enjoyment of the public.
In Red Wing, more than 900 acres of land is dedicated to the enjoyment of the public. Those acres represent the city's two dozen parks and recreation areas. The parks range in size from less than 1 acre to over 300 acres. Many have amenities or special features.
Among the bigger community parks are:
Barn Bluff, 43 acres, overlooking the Mississippi River on the east side of town. A walking path up the bluff is accessed via East Fifth Street. There are some historical sites and markers on the bluff, and rock climbing is a popular sport on the east side.
Central Park, 2 acres, 500 block of West Fourth Street. Red Wing's first parkland was purchased in 1871 for $5,000. It is the former site of Hamline University, which moved to St. Paul. Summer concerts are performed Wednesday nights in the park's new band shell.
Levee Park, 6 acres, 400 block of Levee Street on the Mississippi River. Amenities include picnic tables, fire rings and an information kiosk, plus there is a historical marker detailing the Sea Wing Disaster and a Mayor's Walk. The adjacent Depot houses the Visitors Center and the Red Wing Arts Association Gallery.
Memorial Park, 268 acres, on Sorin's Bluff, accessed via the 600 block of East Seventh Street. Red Wing's largest formal park was developed in the 1920s on Sorin's Bluff as a World War I memorial. Its hiking and cross country ski trails, mountain bike trails, caves and disc golf course draw visitors. People also like the views from the overlooks.
Colvill Park, 40 acres, on the Mississippi River just off of Highway 61 near the Minnesota Correctional Facility; accessed from the 700 block of East Seventh Street. The park is named for Civil War hero Col. William Colvill, whose homestead was on the park site. The land was acquired in 1908.
Red Wing Aquatic Center opened in June 2000, and a Universal Playground accessible to people with physical challenges opened in 2009. Trails, playground equipment, basketball courts, picnic shelters and two marinas are part of the complex. During winter and early spring, Colvill Park is an ideal location to observe eagles.
Bay Point Park, 15 acres, on the Mississippi River at 1400 Levee Road. A former city dump, the Bay Point peninsula was once a string of islands. The park's paved loop is two-thirds of a mile. The 59-acre park also offers picnic facilities, boat ramps and beach volleyball. It is the site of numerous community celebrations, including River City Days and the Mississippi Shuffle Relay for Life, both in August each year.
In addition, there are playgrounds at Burnside, Jefferson and Sunnyside schools.
Shelters are available at A.P. Anderson, Bay Point, Colvill and Pottery Pond parks.