Business workshop offered on Feb. 26
Southern Minnesota Initiative Foundation will present "Business Plan in A Day" from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 26 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Minnesota State College-Southeast Technical.
This workshop is for people who need a business plan to create a new business, expand an existing business, seek financing from a bank or other lender, or plan the strategy and direction of a company
The business plan sections will include company description, marketing, operations, management structure, future development, financials and the executive summary.
Red Wing Area SCORE is participating as a sponsor and will have small-business mentors at the workshop to assist people with developing a business plan during the workshop, which will be in the computer lab. SCORE counselors will provide follow-up mentoring to workshop attendees regarding their new business start-up or existing business changes.
Cost of the workshop is $45, which includes workbook, flash drive, and lunch.
For additional information on the workshop and to register, go to www.smifoundation.org and click on Events.
Manufacturers group will meet on Monday
Red Wing Manufacturers Association will meet at 6 p.m. Monday in the St. James Hotel Oak Room. Pam Gorman of Xcel Energy will talk about the company's energy rate case and Patty Brown of Red Wing Area Chamber of Commerce will give an update on business resources.
Reservations are due noon Thursday at Judy Hines at firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-792-2811 ext. 334.
Programs scheduled for ag producers
The University of Wisconsin Extension will offer several programs for agricultural producers.
• Private pesticide applicator training and certification will be at 10 a.m. Thursday in the Seyforth Building, Pierce County Fairgrounds.
• Renting farm assets workshop will be at 10:30 a.m. Feb. 24 at the Valley Bar and Grill, Highway 10 between Ellsworth and Prescott.
• Grain outlook seminar and changes in 2011 crop insurance will be at 10:30 a.m. March 1 in Pierce County Courthouse.
• Financial planning when transferring or selling the farm will be at 10:30 a.m. March 7 in Pierce County Courthouse. Phil Harris, farm law specialist, will speak.
• Managing dairy diets in high price corn markets will be at 10:30 a.m. March 31 in the Red Barn, Highways 29/63.
Labor management program is Feb. 25
University of Minnesota Extension will offer a labor management program Feb. 25 for farm owners and managers who oversee family and non-family labor. "Employment Skills for Today: Planning for Success" will address hiring process, legal issues, compensation and communication.
The session is set for 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Heintz Center, Rochester. There is no charge, but registration by Friday is required so materials and meals can be ordered. E-mail Mary Jo Fox at email@example.com or call (507) 337-2800.
Thrivent Financial dividends released
Eligible members of Thrivent Financial for Lutherans will receive an estimated $304 million in dividends in 2011. This marks the fourth consecutive year the organization will pay out more than $300 million.
The 2011 dividend scale represents a reduction of just under 4 percent from the 2010 dividend scale of $316 million.