Welch Township exhibit opens SundayThe Goodhue County Historical Society will open the 11th in its series of township exhibits Sunday with a free open house from 1 to 4 p.m.
The Goodhue County Historical Society will open the 11th in its series of township exhibits Sunday with a free open house from 1 to 4 p.m. Welch Township history is revealed through photographs and artifacts.
Welch Township was the last township settled in Goodhue County. Permanent settlements were not in place until 1857-1858. The township was originally part of Burnside Township until 1864, when the western half became Grant Township. In 1872, the name was changed to Welch Township.
The village of Welch was first established as Eagle Mills in 1860 when a post office was opened. The community of Eggleston was established in 1870 as a stopping point on the Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul Railroad.
To learn more about Welch Township, visit the Goodhue County History Center, 1166 Oak St., to view photographs and artifacts from early settlers, rural schools, churches, and businesses. The exhibit will be on display through June. For more information, call the history center at (651) 388-6024.