Tour features dozen studios, gardensWestern Wisconsin artists are inviting everyone to participate in the annual Fresh Art Spring Tour May 14-16 in Pierce and Pepin counties.
What: Fresh Art Spring Tour
Where: 12 sites in Pepin and Pierce counties
When: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 14-16
More info: (715) 442-2419 or www.freshart. org
Western Wisconsin artists are inviting everyone to go outdoors, breathe the sweet clean air, watch the earth burst into green — and participate in the 11th Fresh Art Spring Tour, which will be May 14-16 in Pierce and Pepin counties.
The tour, which runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day, “offers the perfect opportunity to visit 12 galleries and studios and see the work of many of the area’s talented artists and craftspeople, and to enjoy the eruption of spring along the roads and in the gardens on the tour,” said Linda Day, spokeswoman.
The sites will feature painters, potters, metalsmiths, sculptors, weavers and designers and their wares.
“In honor of the spring, many studios also have a garden theme and many of the tour sites offer plants for sale as well as art,” Day said.
The tour leads participants from village streets to rural roads.
“The self-guided tour is clearly marked with road signs and will allow you to drive the back roads of one of the region’s most scenic areas — Lake Pepin and the Mississippi and Chippewa River Valleys,” she said.
A map of the area is on the brochure, which is available by calling (715) 442-2419 or visiting the Web site at www.freshart.org. Brochures are also available at all participating studios.
Participating in the 2010 spring art tour are:
1. Accola Gallery, Highway 25 and Second Avenue East, Durand, Wis.; www.accolagallery. com. The Accola Gallery, which is celebrating 25 years, features landscape and flora paintings in watercolor and oil by owner Jean Accola.
For the tour, Laurie Valento of Garden Divas, River Falls, will have an array of unusual plants for sale including crimson mandevillas, assorted succulents and agave.
2. Day/Dunlap Studio, W9012 Pottery Lane, Arkansaw, Wis.; www.lindadayclay.com and www.bruce-dunlap.com. The studio, which is in a rural setting, spotlights Day’s functional yet whimsical clay pieces and Dunlap’s nostalgic acrylic paintings.
In addition, there will be heirloom tomatoes, peppers and herbs from Lit by the Moon Gardens.
3. Stockholm Pottery & Mercantile/Diane Millner, N2020 Spring St., Stockholm; www.stockholmpottery.com. Millner’s pottery includes a wide variety of stoneware for the kitchen and garden, all made to be used and enjoyed every day.
Featured artist and painter John Meyer and other area artists will be exhibiting in the gallery area, and Millner also will sell some of her favorite perennials.
4. Old Courthouse Museum, 315 W. Madison St., Durand; www.oldpepincountycourthouse.org. Original art by area artists will be on exhibit, including the luxuriant landscapes and nature photography of local artist Dennis Newton.
5. BNOX Gold & Iron, 404 First St., Pepin; www.bnoxgold.com. The jewelry gallery also will feature photographer Stephan Kistler, who will demonstrated the digital process of turning “RAW” images into gray-scale fine art prints.
6. T&C Latané, 412 Second St., Pepin; www. metalsmith.org/gall/
latane. Hand-formed and forged cooking utensils and candleholders will be spotlighted.
Guest artist Judith Kjenstad’s Scandinavian folk painting and nikkelharpe music will also be at this site.
7. Lake Pepin Art & Design Center, Second and Main streets, Pepin; www.pepinartdesign. The cultural center currently presents a spring exhibition by member artists.
8. Smith Bros. Landing, 200 E. Marina Drive, Pepin; www.pepinsmith. com. The lakeside garden is filled with ornamental iron and glass yard art and hosta plants.
9. Hilsgen Family Farm,103104 190th Ave., Maiden Rock. This old-fashioned family farm features artisan goat cheese and woven rugs of all natural fibers.
10. Gail Pommerening Studio, N944 133rd St., Plum City; www.artbygail.com. Visitors will see that the inspiration for Pommerening’s pastel paintings can be found right outside the door.
Guest artist will be Mari Jackson, painter.
11. Pepin Farm Pottery/ Peter & Mary Deneen, W3706 110th Ave., Maiden Rock; www.PepinFarmPottery.com. The Deneens’ bluff-view studio and gallery has gardens, picnic space and a woodland walk.
Guest artists will be David and Jean Aurelius of Claybay Pottery, and Larry and Judy Thoresen of Gills Rock Pottery.
12. Sherri Studio at Catfish Corner, W8907 State Highway 35, Pepin; www.sherristudio.com. Stained glass and multimedia art will be featured in a scenic backwaters setting.