Area notebook: Two locals led Mavericks to school recordRed Wing natives Jaymie Halvorson and Kathleen Ritter both helped the Minnesota State Mankato women's golf team win its first spring tournament of the season with a school record second-day score of 301.
By: Eric Lear, The Republican Eagle
Red Wing natives Jaymie Halvorson and Kathleen Ritter both helped the Minnesota State Mankato women's golf team win its first spring tournament of the season with a school record second-day score of 301. Halvorson was the medalist; she shot an opening-round 78, followed by a 72 on the second day of the tournament. Ritter shot an 83 on day one and followed up with a second-round 76. The tournament was held in Florence, Ariz.
The Mavericks are next in action April 2-3 at the Upper Iowa Invitational.
• Gustavus junior and Cannon Falls native Julia Thompson was named to the All-MIAC sportsmanship team for her work on the Gusties' women's indoor track and field team.
• Levi Price, a wrestler at Northwestern College in Orange City, Iowa, earned All-American honors at the NAIA national championships held in Oklahoma City, Okla. The Cannon Falls native went 4-3 and finished eighth at 149 pounds. Price closes his Red Raider career as the school's all-time leader in wins.
• Luke Winchell has started in four of Waldorf College's first 10 baseball games this season. The Cannon Falls native has gone 2-for-13 at the plate - one of which was a home run - with three RBIs. He has a 2.84 ERA in two appearances on the mound, including one start.
The Warriors will play Grand View University today and Sunday in Des Moines, Iowa.
• Johnny Pohl is currently fourth on the Chicago Wolves with 45 points. Pohl has scored 15 goals and tallied 30 assists in 54 games played. The Wolves lead the West Division in the AHL with 92 points.
• Former Winger Reid Cashman ranks fourth on the Milwaukee Admirals with a plus-9 rating in 30 AHL games this season. The defenseman has four goals and seven assists. Milwaukee is in fourth place of the West Division with 77 points. On Thursday, Cashman was reassigned to the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL.
• Lake City native Indy Liljevall earned NCAA All-American honors along with the rest of his 4X400 relay team at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls. The team finished fourth (3:18.18) at the event last weekend at the men's indoor track and field championships held at DePauw University.