Letter: Red Wing needs inward beautyI have a dream.
By: Donald Mayo, Red Wing, The Republican Eagle
To the Editor:
I have a dream.
1. That the intellectual life of Red Wing is no longer dominated by narrow-minded bigots who mistakenly think that their opinions make Red Wing a better place to live.
2. That the selfishness and protective mentality of way too many of Red Wings citizens is exposed as the primary reason why Red Wing doesn’t grow and flourish as it should.
3. That it is finally realized that Red Wing’s growth issues are not economic but social and cultural.
4. That it is understood that people of good will who would bring their money and subsequent prosperity have not and will not come to a community of closed-minded protectionist bigots.
5. That there is the realization that good stewardship of the resource that is Red Wing, Minn., is not being realized by outward physical beauty coupled with inward hostility.
6. That Red Wing becomes beautiful inwardly and not just outwardly.
7. That it is realized by the powers that be that if you make Red Wing genuinely friendly, they will come.
8. That the potential gem of southeast Minnesota that this town could be and should be is realized.
9. That the goal of a competent balance between the old and the new is accomplished with competence and skill.
10. That the ideal of a healthy multi-cultural environment eventually replaces the silent mentality who are so mean and exclusive to non-whites in Red Wing that you’ll eventually force them to leave. Kind of ignore them and hopefully they’ll go away.
I have a dream.