Winter driving tipsWinter driving tips from state officials.
• Always use seat belts
• Adjust speed to road and weather conditions - lower speeds minimize crashes.
• Keep a safe stopping distance between vehicles, and leave extra room between your vehicle and snow plows or other removal equipment.
• Accelerate and decelerate slowly on icy/snow-covered roads to retrain traction and avoid skids.
• Do not use cruise-control.
• Do not "power up" hills, which may cause wheels to spin. Build momentum before reaching a hill and don't stop while traveling uphill. Reduce speed going downhill.
• Know your brakes - keep the heel of your foot on the floor and use the ball of the foot to apply firm, steady pressure on the brake pedal.
• Give yourself plenty of travel time - don't put your schedule before safety.
• Clear snow and ice from vehicle windows, hood, headlights, brake lights and directional signals.
• Headlights must be turned on when it is snowing or sleeting.
Source: The Minnesota Department of Public Safety and the Minnesota Department of Transportation.