Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Garage lost in Lake Street fire

Flames consumed the garage at 3426 Lake St. Saturday afternoon. The fire spread to the house, but was contained to the kitchen area on the first floor. (Republican Eagle photo by John R. Russett)

Red Wing Fire Department responded to a fire at the home of Bill and Janine Mason on Lake Street Saturday afternoon thought to have been caused by an unattended heating device in the garage.

The fire spread to the first floor of the house at 3426 Lake St., but firefighters contained it to the kitchen, Red Wing Fire Department Acting Capt. Scott Meyers said in a press release.

The call came at 3:48 p.m. and the fire was extinguished approximately 75 minutes after the department arrived on scene.

No one was injured in the fire.

The home suffered significant smoke, heat and water damage, Meyers said, and the attached garage was completely destroyed.

Meyers said attempts to extinguish the fire were hampered by a car burning in the garage, a gas can and venting propane tank that fed the fire. Significant salvage and overhaul were necessary to assure the fire was completely out.

Eight full-time and 10 paid on-call firefighters worked on scene for more than three hours. Two fire engines, one ladder truck and two ambulances were used.

The Red Cross also responded and assisted the family of five whom the fire displaced.

During the coldest winter months, Meyers said, the fire department often responds to fires caused by space heaters and related devices.

Meyers said it is important to use such devices safely and make sure combustibles are kept at a safe distance. If possible, heating devices should be monitored or attended and inspected regularly to ensure they are clean and in good working order, he added.

Advertisement
randomness