Fresh Art Fall Tour celebrates 10 years
Sixteen artists are opening their studios for the 10th annual Fresh Art Fall Tour Oct. 3-5 in Pierce and Pepin counties.
The free tour is held the first weekend of October, when fall colors often peak in this region of rolling countryside and spectacular views. The tour runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.
Visitors can watch artists in the process of painting, blacksmithing, weaving, rug hooking, quilting, felting, jewelry making, throwing or building and decorating clay pots, and paper making.
"Seeing the tools, materials and processes is interesting and entertaining, and increases one's understanding and appreciation of the finished product," organizers said.
People will have hands-on opportunities at the Accola Gallery in Durand, where Dana Turner will help participants make fused glass pendants Oct. 3 and 4, and at the Day/Dunlap Studio in rural Arkansaw, where they can make tiles.
There are two new sites on the tour. At the Sacred Heart Gallery in Maiden Rock, B.J. Christofferson is creating richly colored and imaginative icons using traditional symbols. Also new is the Nelson Stone Barn, where pizza is cooked in a brick oven; Diane Fink will demonstrate quilting art postcards.
The self-guided tour provides a brochure with map, or visitors can follow signs through villages and back roads to the 16 sites - and on the way discover little cafes, restaurants and inns.
Maps are available at participating studios and businesses, and on the Web site www.freshart.org.
Sites and artists on the 2008 tour follow:
1. Accola Gallery, 502 Second Ave. E., Durand - guest artists Sheryl & Dana Turner, glass jewelry; Stacy Pawlek, hooked rugs, plus demonstrations of wire stone wrapping, jewelry design, glass fusion, watercolor and rug hooking.
2. Day/Dunlap Studio, W9012 Pottery Lane, Arkansaw - featured artists Randy Borchers and Pooka Ness of Elk Hollow Pottery, plus tile making demonstration.
3. Diane Millner Studio, W9977 Goatback Road, Pepin - guest artist Michael Peters, oil painting, plus demonstration of throwing pots on potters wheel.
4. Barbara McIlrath Studio, N1444 County Road N, Pepin - guest artist Rebecca Alm, handmade paper, plus demonstration of building a painting.
5. BNOX Gold and Iron, 404 First St., Pepin - guest artist Kay Brathol Hostvet, paintings and pastels, with demonstration.
6. T & C Latané, 412 Second St. Pepin - demonstration of blacksmithing.
7. Secret Heart Gallery, W3553 Highway 35, Maiden Rock - demonstration by B.J. Christofferson.
8. Abode Gallery, N2030 Spring St. Stockholm - featured artist Art Kenyon, demonstrating painting.
9. Little Plum Pottery, N3203 Plum Valley Road, Pepin - demonstration of potter's wheel.
10. Gail Pommerening Studio, N944 133rd St., Plum City - guest artist Mari Jackson, watercolor, and demonstration of pastel painting.
11. Pepin Farm Pottery, W3706 110th Ave., Maiden Rock - featured artist Tim Lanholz, pottery, with demonstrations of throwing, decorating and salt kiln firing.
12. Hilsgen Family Farm, W3104 190th Ave., Maiden Rock - demonstrations of weaving and basketry.
13. Nelson Stone Barn, S685 County KK, Nelson - guest artists Jim Smits, painting, and Diane Fink, quilted textiles, and demonstration of quilting art post cards.
14. B Studio/Jan Brunkow, S877 Highway 25, Nelson - guest artists Nancy Tanke, water washed glass and freshwater pearl jewelry, and Dave and Aurora Myers,carved and dyed gourd bowls, plus demonstration of watercolor.
15. John Turula Studio, N3113 490th St., Bay City - guest artists Mark Nuebel, hammered jewelry, and Nancy Lied, felted wool, and demonstrations of sculpture, tile making, bracelets and felted wool.
16. Calvary Covenant Church, Stockholm - artist Christine Foster, painting demonstrations Oct. 3-4 only.