Ernestine Marie Poloson, 85, of Red Wing
Ernestine Marie Poloson, 85, of Red Wing, died Saturday Dec. 20, 2008, at St. Marys Hospital in Rochester. She was born March 3, 1923, in Helena, Mont., to Dan and Mae Deschamps Poloson. She spent her early years at their Wolf Creek home where, from infancy, she accompanied her mother on horseback and by wagon traveling over steep terrain to sheep camps. In 1929, Marie's parents bought their own ranch near Lonepine where she attended school.
Her greatest love was horses; she spent as much time as she could with them and became an excellent horsewoman. In 1948, she brought the first Tennessee walking horses to the Big Arm, Mont., area. Marie trained her own horses including several stallions that were gentle enough for her girls to ride. The bloodline of Marie's walkers can be found throughout western United States and Canada, and as far away as Oklahoma. Her daughter and son-in-law, Grace and Lyle, raise walkers from Marie's foundation horses. In later years, Marie owned and operated Marie's Little Salvage in Red Wing for over 30 years. This was the first recycling business in the Red Wing area. She was well-informed on metals and operated her Bobcat Skid Steer, pick-ups and trucks with skill. Marie enjoyed all her customers and took a very active role in Red Wing politics speaking out on issues in which she strongly believed. She especially enjoyed her grandchildren, Dana, Elizabeth, Melissa, Gabrielle, Olivia and Adrian. They lived close by and frequently spent time with their beloved grandmother.
Marie is survived by her daughters, Grace (Lyle "Bud") Larson of Forsyth, Mont., and Alice Kranzler of Plentywood, Mont., Shirley (Miguel) Marroquin of Red Wing; 13 grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; sister Fay Haynes and brother Bert Poloson. She was preceded in death by her mother in 1967, her father in 1976, and her brother Fred Poloson in 2004.
A memorial service will be held on Saturday, June 20, 2009, at 10 a.m. at Cornerstone Community Church, Red Wing. Interment will be in Murray Cemetery in Lonepine.