Independent School District #256
Red Wing, MN 55066
The Red Wing School Board held its regular meeting on August 20, 2018 in the Red Wing City Hall Chambers. Board members, Superintendent Karsten Anderson, staff and public were present. Chair Diercks called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.
Motion made by Roe and seconded by Farrar to approve the meeting agenda as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
2.1 Recognitions and Upcoming Events
Several recognitions were shared with the school board.
2.2 Public Comment:
One individual provided public comment.
2.3 Construction Update:
Kevin Johnson provided an update on all construction projects.
2.4 Solar Garden Update:
Kevin Johnson provided an update about the solar garden.
2.5 Reports and Committee Notes:
Committee meeting notes and reports were reviewed.
3.1 Consent Agenda:
1. Board minutes for August 6, 2018
2. Claims & Accounts for July 16, 2018 - July 31, 2018
Fund 01 General Funds$993,547.37
Fund 02 Food Service6,923.17
Fund 04 Community Services30,454.52
Fund 06 Building Construction1,320,177.94
Fund 07 Debt Service474,733.76
Fund 08 Trust 15,418.90
Fund 09 Agency2,632.18
Fund 21 Student Activities8,303.60
Fund 22 Clinic36,058.92
Fund 45 OPEB Trust Fund 40,155.81
Fund 47 OPEB Debt Service 0.00
Fund 50 Student Activities 0.00
Payroll July 31, 2018 $643,389.15
3. New Hire: Angie DiNatalie, Coordinator of Concessions for RWHS and Prairie Island Ice Arena, effective August 1, 2018 (new position); Gabrielle
Harteneck, 1st Grade Teacher at Sunnyside Elementary School, effective 2018-19 school year (due to resignation); Innana Antley, 1st Grade Teacher at Sunnyside Elementary School, effective 2018-19 school year (new position); Krystel Ebel, Special Ed LD Teacher at Sunnyside Elementary School, effective 2018-19 school year (new position); Constance "Tori" Campbell, School-Home Liaison District-Wide, effective July 1, 2018 (new position).
4. Resignation: Jessica Groll, Principal's Secretary at Twin Bluff Middle School, effective August 7, 2018; Jennifer Bliss, Special Ed Para at RWHS, effective August 7, 2018; Melissa Collins, Special Ed Para at Colville Family Center, effective September 28, 2018.
5. Elimination of Position: Jennifer Stam Johnson, Sign Language Communication Facilitator at Sunnyside Elementary School, effective the end of 2017-18 school year.
6. Termination: Stacy Anway, Assistant Lead at Kids Junction Burnside with Community Ed & Recreation, effective August 13, 2018.
Motion made byChristensen and seconded by Borgschatz to approve the consent agenda as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
Motion made by Farrar and seconded by Anderson to approve the following policies as presented: 104, 205, 206, 213, 302, 402, 419, 421, 501, 502, 503, 504, 505, 506, 509, 511, 514, 521, 522, 525, 526, 528, 530, 602, 610, 611, 707, 708, 709, 714, 722, and 806. Motion carried 5-2 (with Christensen and Jones opposed).
Motion made by Christensen and seconded by Borgschatz to approve Policies 102, 401 and 413 as presented. Motion carried 5-2 (with Farrar and Roe opposed).
Motion made by Jones and seconded by Borgschatz to approve the student, employee, and administrative procedural handbooks as presented except with the following changes to the student handbook: changes to Sunnyside's drop-off & pickup procedures; possible changes to Pledge of Allegiance section; and adding severe weather or per road conditions to list of excused absences.
Motion carried 6-1 (with Farrar opposed).
3.4 Advisory Period:
Todd Herber presented information about the change to the advisory period for the 2018-19 school year.
Chair Diercks reviewed the upcoming meetings.
Motion made by Anderson, second by Borgschatz to adjourn the meeting at 8:06 p.m. Motion carried 7-0.
Bethany Borgschatz, School Board Clerk