Independent School District #256
Red Wing, MN 55066
The Red Wing School Board held its regular meeting on November 20, 2017 in the Red Wing City Hall Chambers. Board members, Superintendent Karsten Anderson, staff and public were present. Chair Farrar called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.
Motion made by Anderson and seconded by Borgschatz to approve the meeting agenda as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
2.1 Recognitions and Upcoming Events
Several recognitions were shared with the school board.
2.2 Public Comment: None
2.3 Next Steps for Referendum:
Janie Farrar led a discussion about feedback about the last referendum
and ideas for the upcoming referendum.
2.4 Strategic Direction B:
Joe Jezierski presented information about Strategic Direction B.
2.5 2018 Meeting Dates:
There was discussion about changing the day of the week for the
school board meetings. No recommendations were made at this time.
2.6 Reports and Committee Notes:
Committee meeting notes and reports were reviewed.
3.1 Consent Agenda:
Board member Jones asked that the overnight field trip request
for the RWHS Band & Choir Trip to Nashville be pulled.
1. Board minutes for November 6, 2017
2. Claims & Accounts for October 16, 2017-October 31, 2017
Fund 01 - General Funds $615,308.48
Fund 02 - Food Service 39,647.92
Fund 03 - Transportation 30,975.67
Fund 04 - Community Services 33,936.08
Fund 05 - Capital Expenditures 39,668.14
Fund 06 - Building Construction357,393.97
Fund 07 - Debt Service 0.00
Fund 08 - Auxiliary 1,961.00
Fund 09 - Trust Agency 6,519.74
Fund 21 - Student Activities 200.00
Fund 22 - Clinic 27,074.05
Fund 45 - OPEB Trust Fund 0.00
Fund 47 - OPEB Debt Service 0.00
Fund 50 - Student Activities 2,397.06
CREDIT CARD 15,125.60
Payroll - October 31, 2017 $849,152.63
3. New Hire: Sheila Wallerick, Special Ed Para at Sunnyside Elementary School, effective November 2, 2017 (due to a resignation); Vicki LeClaire, ECSE paraprofessional at Colvill Family Center, effective November 8, 2017 (due to a resignation); Melissa Collins, ECSE paraprofessional at Colvill Family Center, effective November 8, 2017 (due to a resignation).
4. Reassignment: Melissa Gouka-Dopkins, Special Ed Teacher at Burnside Elementary School, effective September 6, 2017 (new position).
5. Additional Hours: Suzanne Kline, Cook at RWHS, effective November 14, 2017; Angela Hu, ECSE paraprofessional at Colvill Family Center, effective November 8, 2017.
6. Overnight Trip:
RWHS Band & Choir, Spring Break trip to Nashville, TN, March 1, 2019 thru March 3, 2019.
Motion made by Anderson and seconded by Borgschatz to approve the consent agenda as amended. Motion carried 7-0.
Motion made by Anderson and seconded by Jones to table item 6: Overnight Trip for RWHS Band & Choir until the December 4th meeting.
3.2 Cooks' Association Memorandum of Understanding:
Motion made by Christensen and seconded by Diercks to approve the Memorandum of Understanding regarding school district contributions for health insurance for food service employees. Motion carried 6-0 with board member Anderson abstaining.
3.3 Nursing Coverage:
Motion made by Jones and seconded by Borgschatz to authorize the administration to hire a building nurse for Red Wing High School. Motion carried 7-0.
3.4 Reorganizational Meeting Date:
Motion made by Anderson and seconded by Borgschatz to hold the 2018 reorganizational meeting for the school board on Monday, January 8, 2018 at 5:30 pm in the Red Wing High School Media Center. Motion carried 7-0.
Chair Farrar reviewed the upcoming meetings.
Motion made by Roe, second by Borgschatz to adjourn the meeting at 7:44 p.m. Motion carried 7-0.
School Board Clerk