The Red Wing Area Chamber of Commerce and Red Wing Manufacturers Association have tours, an expo and a luncheon planned to celebrate local manufacturing.
October is Manufacturing Month. Chamber President Patty Brown said the Red Wing area will go all out the week of Oct. 23. There are roughly four dozen area manufacturers.
"We are so fortunate to have all these manufacturers in our community. They have a significant impact on our economic well-being," Brown said.
Monday, Oct. 23, is the annual appreciation luncheon in the St. James Hotel Summit Room. The meal starts at 11:30 a.m., followed by a new video featuring 12 of the region's manufacturers.
Tickets are $10 and should be paid for in advance or that day. Reservations are required by Oct. 16. Call 651-388-4719 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open to the public and free of charge, the 10th annual Business Expo is 4:30-6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 24, at the hotel. Numerous area businesses and manufacturers will have goods, services and treats on hand.
Co-sponsors include Coordinated Business Systems, Republican Eagle, the St. James Hotel, QMedia Group and the chamber.
Public tours are scheduled throughout the week.
"We really appreciate the opportunity to go in and tour these facilities, because there's no better way to see what goes on in our community than to go behind the doors," Brown said.
She expects she'll hear the familiar refrain "I never knew ...:" from members of the public who take advantage of a tour or two. People say they drive by these plants daily but now have an appreciation for what local manufacturers do.
"Many of these products are shipped all over the world and they are all made right here," Brown said.
The manufacturers featured in the 2017 tours make everything from foods to metalworks to elevator products and everything inn between.
The tour dates, times and locations include:
• Oct. 13, 10 a.m., Red Wing Bridge
• Oct. 20, 10 a.m., Red Wing Bridge
• Oct. 25, 10 a.,m., Hanisch Bakery; 1 p.m. Automated Equipment and Elektro Assemblies; 1 p.m., SCS Elevator Products
• Oct. 26, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., Minnesota State College Southeast welding lab and MakerSpace; 10 a.m., ProAct; 10 a.m. Riedell Shoes; 1 p.m., Xcel Energy Steam Plant
• Oct. 27, 10 a.m., Hobgoblin Music; 10 a.m., Neufeldt Industrial Services; 10 a.m. Red Wing Bridge; 10 a.m., Red Wing Shoe Co. Plant 2; 1 p.m. Mayo Clinic Health System in Red Wing
• Oct. 31, 10 a.m., Municipal Wastewater Treatment Plant; 1 p.m. Twin Bluffs Water Treatment Plant.
People must register in advance through the chamber. All tours are free, but each is limited to 20 people and will last approximately one hour.
People must wear closed-toe shoes (no high heels). Cellphones and/or pictures or videos are prohibited. Photo ids may be required.